-History of H.M.S. Hood-
Career Timeline of H.M.S. Hood, Part 1
Updated 07-May-2014

The following is a timeline of Hood'scareer from launch until sinking. Much of this information was derived from her official logs by Bruce Taylor, author of the magnificent book "'The Battlecruiser H.M.S. Hood: An Illustrated History". We are most indebted to him for allowing us to borrow heavily from his information to augment our own research here until such time as we complete our own day-by-day history of Hood.

Also note that we have basic location information in our Searchable Database of Movements of H.M.S. Hood.

Chainbar divider

Design Evolution & Construction (1915–1919)


October: The Admiralty ordered Sir Eustace Tennyson d’Eyncourt, Director of Naval Construction (DNC), to evolve battleship designs featuring reduced draughts, and incorporating the latest concepts in underwater protection. Five designs were produced between November 1915 and February 1916.

November: The Admiralty proposes the construction of four large battlecruisers armed with 15" guns and capable of speeds of 33 knots.



February: Admiral Sir John Jellicoe, Commander-in-Chief Grand Fleet, responded to Admiralty requests to comment on the proposed designs. He submitted a detailed requirement for a class of large battle cruisers instead of battleships. As a result of this, the Admiralty ordered the DNC to prepare six battle cruiser designs. The designs were then prepared by the DNC's design team, under the supervision of E.L. Atwood.

27 March: Two modified versions of one of Atwood’s designs were presented to the Admiralty Board.

07 April: Design was approved by the Admiralty Board.

21 April: The Admiralty Board placed orders for three Admiral-class battlecruisers: Hood (John Brown), Howe (Cammell Laird), Rodney (Fairfield).

31 May: Rumoured date that Hood's keel was first laid. It was supposedly dismantled shortly after the Battle of Jutland, which also took place this same day. Though this date is listed in Admiralty documents (Hood's "Cover"), this date is NOT supported by the construction yard records. We feel that John Brown would have made notice of the ship being started. They list a later date for the laying of the keel (additionally, some Admiralty documents also list a different date). This 31 May date is therefore not confirmed and most unlikely. Lastly, even if it were true, it was not the ship that was to become the actual Hood.

14 July: Admiralty informed John Brown that their ship is to be named Hood.

July: Battle cruiser design revised somewhat as a result of lessons learned at Jutland. Around this same time, an order was placed a for fourth Admiral-class battlecruiser, Anson (Armstrong Whitworth).

04 August: Admiralty approved revised design.

01 September: Confirmed date Hood's keel was laid at John Brown & Company Ltd., shipyards in Clydebank, Scotland. She was ship number 460.

13 September: Improvements made to deck and turret protection of the approved design.

02 October: Further improvements made to deck and turret protection.

07 November: Recommendations as to deck and magazine protection made by Admiral Sir John Jellicoe. Additional recommendations were made that same month by Admiral Sir David Beatty, Commander-in-Chief, Battle Cruiser Force, Grand Fleet.



09 March: The Admiralty suspended construction of Howe, Rodney and Anson, declaring them a secondary priority.

June: Further protection recommendations made by Admiral Sir David Beatty.

30 August: Final design approved by Admiralty Board.



January: Test firings against armour reveal vulnerability of design to plunging fire from heavy shells.

22 August: Hood was launched at 1305 hours by Lady Hood (widow of Sir Horace Hood lost at Jutland). Following the launch, Hood spent the next two years fitting out.

Late August: Further increase in protection over magazines authorised by the Admiralty.

12 September: First barbette armour added to the ship.

October: The Admiralty cancels the other three Admiral-class battlecruisers.

28 October: Turbines installed.



May: Further increase in deck protection in vicinity of magazines authorised by Admiralty.

02 May: Main mast shipped.

19 May: Explosion in watertight compartment beneath the Shipwrights’ working space forward killed two dockyard workers and injured another.

July: Further modifications as to protection over magazines made (never implemented).

07 August: First gun installed.

12 September: Hauled out into river for shipping barbette plates. This happened again on 16 September.

09-10 December: Basin trials.

11 December: Visited by H.R.H. Prince Albert.

For more details concerning the building of Hood, please read The Construction of H.M.S. Hood.